Jews United for Justice (JUFJ) works in coalition with advocates and communities across DC and Maryland on local and state campaigns for economic, racial, and social justice. We are looking for a talented and creative rock star communicator, who will be responsible for project management, strategy, message development, web and email content, and more, on our DC campaign slate.
We work on a variety of local DC issues. JUFJ is helping launch the new Birth to Three for All DC Coalition, which is organizing a movement across the District to support infants, young children, and their families to thrive, and to end the inequities that face children in poor families from before they are born. This position will focus on this issue, 80% on the Birth to Three campaign and 20% on JUFJ’s other DC issue campaign. The person will report to JUFJ’s Deputy Director, and work directly with JUFJ, DC Working Families, Spaces, and other coalition partners.
- Co-create and adapt messaging strategy; ensure campaign framing and messaging is used across coalitions
- Develop and maintain campaign website and social media presence, in collaboration with staff and volunteers
- Create compelling written and visual content for webpages, action alerts, social media, petitions, op-eds, etc.
- Work with campaign leaders to develop plans for online mobilization, outreach, and volunteer development
- Edit and/or ghostwrite other written communications
- Develop original and compelling pitches to ensure needed stories are presented
- Collaborate with coalition allies to develop public-facing and PR materials and reports to support the campaign and that can be used to generate positive press coverage
- Maintain relationships with reporters and social media influencers
- Primary point of contact with campaign’s contracted PR vendor
- Create and manage a story bank, ensuring a diversity of voices and perspectives are presented
- Monitor press and social media coverage of issues and political environment; plan ahead to shape coverage
- Excellent writing skills. Your writing should be clear, compelling, and personable.
- Exceptional interpersonal teamwork skills and ability to “manage sideways” with colleagues in a coalition.
- Visual design and communications skills – basic photography, graphic design, etc.
- Functional understanding of and ease with basic Internet technology and communication.
- Can work and communicate with diverse communities, especially working class & poor communities of color.
- Experience in DC politics, community organizing, and/or issue campaigning.
- Willing to do what it takes to make stuff happen. Fast, focused, high quality.
- Ability to manage multiple priorities, analyze problems, and solve them in an imperfect world of slim resources!
- 2+ years of experience in any of: communications, digital media, organizing, political or issue campaigns
Also Highly Desired
- Experience with racial justice, feminism, allyship, solidarity, etc. activism and analysis
- Experience managing interns, volunteers, or junior staff
- Spanish language
Salary range is $50-60,000, depending on experience. Excellent benefits and a flexible, collaborative workplace. JUFJ is committed to building a diverse team that draws on the strengths of people with a variety of identities, backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. People of color, indigenous people, and immigrants are particularly encouraged to apply. You do not need to be Jewish. Please send a cover letter, resume, and 2-3 professional references with phone numbers to firstname.lastname@example.org. Questions? Email email@example.com.