Jews United for Justice (JUFJ, along with our sister 501(c)4 organization, the JUFJ Campaign Fund) is seeking an experienced full-time Community Organizer to continue building and mobilizing our constituency to win local issue campaigns in the District of Columbia.
The ideal candidate will excel at building relationships and working with a team to make an impact. They will be committed to getting results in a fast-paced environment and able to manage a heavy workload. This is a full-time, exempt position that falls within a bargaining unit represented for collective bargaining purposes by a labor organization (NPEU/Local 70, IFPTE).
About Jews United for Justice
Jews United for Justice advances economic, racial, and social justice in the Washington, DC and Maryland region by educating and mobilizing our local Jewish communities to action. We move our region closer to equity and justice by advancing issue-based campaigns that make real, immediate, and concrete improvements in people’s lives and build the power of working-class and poor communities of color. Through these campaigns we develop leaders, build our Jewish grassroots community, shift the consciousness of our community, and build the collective power needed to undo systemic racism and inequality. Learn more about JUFJ.
Campaigns and Education
- Support the development and implementation of issue-based legislative campaigns and electoral work that are central to JUFJ and the JUFJ Campaign Fund’s mission and strategic plan.
- Partner with volunteer leaders to plan and lead our DC work, including developing campaign strategy, planning campaign actions, events, and meetings, and, in election years, running a candidate endorsement process and mobilizing our base to elect endorsed candidates.
- Plan and execute educational and community building programs, facilitating and presenting as needed.
- Recruit, expand, and maintain JUFJ’s base of community members.
- Identify and recruit volunteer leaders to participate in and lead JUFJ working groups.
- Support and train active leaders and community members to successfully take on increasing leadership roles, own their pieces of work, and feel connected to JUFJ as a whole.
- Build new and maintain existing relationships with allies, organizational partners, synagogues and other Jewish institutions, and elected leaders.
- Represent JUFJ and our sister 501(c)4 organization the JUFJ Campaign Fund in issue campaign and electoral organizing work with a range of allied organizational partners and institutions, playing a leadership role in them as appropriate.
- Collaborate with communications staff to create bi-weekly newsletters, maintain JUFJ’s social media and web presence, and input necessary data into our data management platform, EveryAction.
Required Qualifications & Experience
Jews United for Justice seeks candidates with the following qualifications:
- Community Organizing Experience: At least 3 years of professional experience in community organizing or field organizing for a political campaign, including developing and managing strategic campaigns.
- Coalition Experience: Experience working with and navigating the complexities of multiracial, cross-class coalitions.
- Volunteer Management: Experience overseeing and managing volunteers while supporting them to take ownership of their piece of the work.
- Building Relationships: Proven success developing relationships with community members and partners, and building a base to support a cause.
- Communication Skills: Strong writing skills and experience writing to explain and advocate for an issue, especially in a community organizing context. Strong listening, verbal communication, and conflict management skills.
- Political Experience: The ability to master a complicated political landscape quickly and thoroughly and use that information to make strategic decisions to advance a campaign. The ideal candidate will also have a familiarity with the DC political landscape and change-making groups.
Preferred Qualifications & Experience
- Leadership Skills: Outstanding leadership qualities and the ability to inspire, develop, and connect with Jewish social justice activists and community leaders.
- Attention to Detail: Demonstrated commitment to meeting high standards in a fast-paced environment. A history of managing a high volume of work and getting things done without sacrificing quality, even in the face of obstacles.
- Team Player: Views own work as supporting the whole, and integral to the team’s effectiveness. Candidates should have a sense of humor, low ego, and a genuine commitment to working in a collaborative team setting.
- Technology: Enjoys (or doesn’t mind) working with technology and has an appetite and aptitude to learn more about Google Suite, Microsoft Office, Asana, and our database, EveryAction (NGP VAN).
- Aligned Values: Demonstrated commitment to integrity, honesty, and positivity. Familiarity with Jewish cultural norms and navigating Jewish institutions.
- Compensation: $48,000 – $58,000 per year commensurate with experience
- Benefits: JUFJ offers a competitive benefits package covering 100% of employee medical & dental insurance premiums, 25% of premiums for employee dependents, employer retirement contributions (SIMPLE IRA), short-term disability income protection insurance, pre-tax public transportation benefits, and generous paid time off, including paid family and medical leave
- Location: This is a full-time position based out of JUFJ’s Washington, DC office. Must be available and willing to regularly work some nights and some Sundays (schedule varies week-to-week).
Due to COVID-19 regulations, all staff are working remotely at this time
JUFJ is committed to building a diverse team that draws on the strengths of people with a variety of identities, backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. People of color, indigenous people, LGBTQ+ people, and immigrants are particularly encouraged to apply. You do not need to be Jewish. Please send a cover letter, resume, and 2-3 professional references to email@example.com and indicate Community Organizer, DC in the subject line.