The Development Manager is a mid-level position that will work within the Development Department and cross-functionally across the organization to support the development and implementation of the goals, strategies and tactics for JUFJ’s fundraising campaigns. The role will work closely with the Director of Development, the Communications Manager, and the Operations Department. This is a full-time, exempt position that falls within a bargaining unit represented for collective bargaining purposes by a labor organization (NPEU/Local 70, IFPTE).
The ideal candidate is a professional who is energized by working with others and sharing the impact that JUFJ has in our region. This position is key to JUFJ’s success and requires a highly organized, creative, detail-oriented and motivated person to support multi-channel revenue generation, donor stewardship and sponsorship in a fast paced, growing organization.
About Jews United for Justice
Jews United for Justice advances economic, racial, and social justice in the Washington, DC and Maryland region by educating and mobilizing our local Jewish communities to action. We move our region closer to equity and justice by advancing issue-based campaigns that make real, immediate, and concrete improvements in people’s lives and build the power of working-class and poor communities of color. Through these campaigns we develop leaders, build our Jewish grassroots community, shift the consciousness of our community, and build the collective power needed to undo systemic racism and inequality. Learn more about JUFJ.
- Database Management
- Ensure gifts (including stock, grants, etc.), in-kind donations, and pledges are entered efficiently and accurately into the donor database, and coordinate closely with the Finance & Operations Team to ensure accuracy of deposit reports.
- Maintain donor database hygiene and increase JUFJ’s use of database functionality through activities including but not limited to data entry, regularly reviewing database processes, and duplicate record and pledge fulfillment reports and reconciliation.
- Produce informative database reports and recommendations in support of data-driven fundraising strategies.
- Implement tactics for meeting shared organizational goals, including developing and pulling segmented lists from the database and reporting on list performance.
- Development Marketing and Communications
- Oversee acknowledgment process in collaboration with Operations & Communications Associate to ensure every gift is properly acknowledged in a timely manner.
- Manage sponsorship and other donor crediting processes to confirm proper recognition for JUFJ’s donors.
- Create and adapt written content for emails and direct marketing; promote a positive donor experience through regular communication with stakeholders and JUFJ donors.
- Oversee outreach to JUFJ’s individual donor base through direct mail, email, fundraising events, and more.
- Assist with website needs including creating general donation pages, peer-to-peer campaigns and more.
- Prospect Management/Research
- Contribute to the creation of the annual individual donor fundraising plan including strategy, tactics, implementation, and calendar of activities.
- Oversee processes for managing major projects utilizing collaboration tools like Asana
- Manage relationships with development contractors/vendors to ensure payment and deliverables.
- Support major gift portfolio management, research, cultivation, and solicitation.
- Event Management
- Provide meaningful contributions to event planning and execution — including but not limited to the JUFJ seders and the Heschel Vision Awards.
- Development/Finance Operations
- Assist the Finance Department with yearly financial audit, including pledge and gift documentation, financial reports, drafting procedures as needed.
- Track departmental expenses and reconcile figures with the Finance Department.
- Participate as a staff member of the Development Department, including actively participating in regular meetings and assisting others with departmental priorities.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Key Qualifications & Experience
We’re looking for candidates with at least three years of experience with particular strengths in the following areas:
- Development Experience: Previous experience managing projects in a data, development, and/or operations role.
- Donor Relationship Management: Support, manage, and consistently work to improve every JUFJer’s experience.
- Data Management: Evaluate the efficacy of development data reports and utilize creative thinking to reimagine and devise solutions to optimize informative reporting output. Experience with EveryAction (NGPVAN/VoteBuilder), Asana, and Google Suite preferred, but not required.
- Project Management: Ability to manage multiple projects, consult with various stakeholders, anticipate obstacles, run a tight ship, coordinate staff and internal resources, and keep a cool head while doing it.
- Collaboration Skills: Track record of developing and maintaining trusting relationships with a diverse range of stakeholders, an ability to meet people where they are, find common ground, and inspire collective action around fundraising ambassadorship.
- Communication Skills: Persuasive, professional writing and strong verbal communication.
- Strategic Thinking: Capacity to be a thought partner with the Director of Development for annual individual donor fundraising campaign planning and implementation. Ability to incorporate consideration of impact, resources, and larger institutional goals during development campaign planning and implementation.
- Team Player/Professionalism: Be reliable, a self-starter, with high standards who takes initiative. Accustomed to holding yourself accountable for your words and actions. Willingness to work periodically irregular hours as needed.
- Eagerness to Learn: Inclination to keep learning, asking questions, and working to understand the strategies within the broader fundraising world.
- Belief in the Mission: Actively demonstrate a commitment to integrity, credibility, and dedication to the mission of Jews United for Justice.
- Compensation: $50,000 – $60,000 per year commensurate with experience
- Benefits: JUFJ offers a competitive benefits package covering 100% of employee medical & dental insurance premiums, 25% of premiums for employee dependents, employer retirement contributions (SIMPLE IRA), short-term disability income protection insurance, public transportation stipend, and generous paid time off, including paid family and medical leave
- Location: This is a full-time position based out of JUFJ’s Washington, DC office. Due to COVID-19 regulations, all staff are working remotely at this time
JUFJ is committed to building a diverse team that draws on the strengths of people with a variety of identities, backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. People of color, indigenous people, LGBTQ+ people, and immigrants are particularly encouraged to apply. You do not need to be Jewish. Please send a cover letter, resume, and 2-3 professional references to firstname.lastname@example.org and indicate Development Manager in the subject line.