Jews United for Justice advances economic, racial, and social justice in the Baltimore-Washington region by educating and mobilizing our local Jewish communities to action. We move our region closer to equity and justice by advancing issue-based campaigns that make real, immediate, and concrete improvements in people’s lives and build the power of working-class and poor communities of color. Through these campaigns we develop leaders, build our Jewish grassroots community, shift the consciousness of our community, and build the collective power needed to undo systemic racism and inequality.
Director of Finance and Administration
We’ve grown dramatically in recent years, and are seeking our first Director of Finance and Administration to strengthen our financial management and build the systems and processes our organization needs to succeed. We are looking for a talented systems thinker, who will play a leadership role in the organization and ensure that our finance and administration functions are working at the highest level.
Our ideal candidate loves numbers, can look at a process and see the system that will enable or sustain success, and is a terrific teacher and interpersonal communicator who can help others in the organization adopt the new ways of working.
- Play a key leadership role at Jews United for Justice as a member of the senior management team.
Financial Leadership & Management
- Lead annual planning & budgeting processes.
- Create a transparent financial system and interpret information so that leadership can make good strategic decisions for the organization and all key staff has the information they need to make real time decisions financial decisions.
- Ensure that our finances and processes are a well-oiled machine, including cash flow, contract & lease management, managing the audit & tax compliance.
- Manage the financial relationship between JUFJ and other institutions including JUFJ’s sister organization the JUFJ Campaign Fund, as well as re-granting partners & fiscal sponsored projects.
- Make sure all our routine procedures are accurate and working smoothly, including payroll, benefits, tracking leaves, employment records, and other internal systems.
- Make sure we’re running a tight ship that is efficient and protects us from things going wrong.
- Lead risk management for the organization, including reporting, compliance and insurance.
- Ensure that our workspaces are setup to enable our staff to get things done, including office setup, and relationships with landlords and vendors.
- Ensure our staff have the technology and training we need to be effective and that the organization has the policies in place to protect our information and reputation.
- Develop systems and lead job searches to recruit and hire fantastic staff.
We’re seeking candidates who love numbers and keeping track of all the details, can look at a process and see the system that will enable or sustain success, and are terrific teacher and interpersonal communicator who can help others in the organization adopt new ways of working. You should have:
- A multi-tasker with the ability to wear many hats in a fast-paced environment.
- A successful track record in setting priorities; keen analytic, organization and problem solving skills which support and enable sound decision making.
- Excellent communication and relationship building skills with an ability to prioritize, negotiate, and work with a variety of internal and external stakeholders.
- Ability to communicate financial concepts to – and to effectively collaborate with — programmatic and fundraising colleagues who do not have finance backgrounds.
- The ideal candidate has experience of final responsibility for the quality and content of all financial data, reporting and audit coordination for either a division or significant program area, and has preferably overseen a human resources function previously.
- At least seven to ten years of overall professional experience; ideally six-plus years of broad financial and operations management experience.
- Minimum of a BA, ideally with an MBA/CPA or related degree.
- Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and dedication to the mission of Jews United for Justice.
Salary range is $70-80,000, depending on experience. Excellent benefits and a flexible, collaborative workplace. JUFJ is committed to building a diverse team that draws on the strengths of people with a variety of identities, backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. People of color, indigenous people, LGBTQ+ people, and immigrants are particularly encouraged to apply. You do not need to be Jewish. Please send a cover letter, resume and 2-3 professional references with phone numbers to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications are being considered on a rolling basis.