JUFJ’s Guide to Annapolis Logistics
- Senate hearings will be in the Miller Senate Office Building, 11 Bladen St. Annapolis, MD 21401
- House of Delegates hearings will be in the House Office Building, 6 Bladen St. Annapolis, MD 21401
- Find updated information about room numbers at http://mgaleg.maryland.gov/ and click on “Meetings” on the home page.
- Most hearings begin at 1:00 PM Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays. Find updated information about hearing times at http://mgaleg.maryland.gov/ and click on “Meetings” on the home page.
- Arrive at the hearing/committee room at least 30 minutes before the hearing starts.
- Hearings in Annapolis can take a long time! The tentative bill order will usually be announced at the beginning of each hearing, but not always. The order is subject to bill sponsors’ availability, the number of bills, and the number of witnesses signed up to testify. Sometimes hearings can go late into the evening.
How to Get There
- Please plan for traffic and give yourself extra time to park and get into the building.
- We suggest you reserve a parking spot in advance. Visit the Annapolis parking website, choose Noah Hillman Garage, Knighton Garage, or Gotts Court Garage and select “Buy Daily Parking.”
- If you don’t reserve in advance, a good option is the Park Place Garage at One Park Place on West Street. It is a 20 minutes walk to the House Office Building or take the free Circulator Bus, which runs every 20 minutes.
- You will need a photo ID to go through security at the front door.
- When you arrive, check in with a JUFJ staff member.
- Put your coat on a seat in the hearing room as soon as you arrive. The hearing rooms often fill up and without a seat you will have to wait in the lobby.
What to Bring
- A JUFJ shirt to wear. Don’t have one? jufj.org/shirts.
- A photo ID to go through security at the front door.
- Snacks and water!
- A phone to take photos of other JUFJers doing things in Annapolis, especially if they are wearing JUFJ shirts or buttons. Good options are people testifying, talking to legislators, holding up signs at a rally, etc. If you are comfortable, post photos on social media and tag JUFJ. Send photos to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Here are the people who can join JUFJ at a Maryland General Assembly hearing in Annapolis:
- Your Jewish friends and family
- Your non-Jewish friends and family
- People who are testifying about legislation
- People who are not testifying about legislation
Being a visible presence in a General Assembly session or committee hearing is a powerful piece of our advocacy work. Together, we can remind our legislators and each other that Maryland Jews believe in racial, social, and economic justice. And together, we can build a more just Maryland for everyone.
JUFJ Events in Annapolis
March 3 | 12:00 pm – 4:00 pm
Committees are holding hearings on important bills to make sure that police are held accountable to the community. Sign up to testify or to help JUFJ pack the chamber.
March 4 | 8:00 pm – 9:30 pm
JUFJ’s Maryland strategy teams meet on Wednesday evenings throughout the General Assembly’s legislative session. Join us!
March 5 | 12:00 pm – 4:00 pm
The Judicial Proceedings Committee is holding a hearing on an important bill to make sure that incarcerated and returning voters have access to a ballot. Sign up to testify or to help JUFJ pack the chamber.
March 8 | 3:00 pm – 5:00 pm
Esther prepared a feast to make the case for justice for the Jewish people in the Purim story. JUFJ is preparing Hamantaschen (triangle cookies) and Mishloach Manot (gift bags) to make the case for justice for the people of Maryland.